AquaParts Bell Siphons
A Bell Siphon is an elegant way to drain your grow bed in a flood and drain aquaponics system without using a timer to turn your pump on and off.
Why use a siphon?
- No more timer - You will no longer need nor want a timer to control your pump. This eliminates:
- The cost of the timer
- The risk of timer failure
- The cost of the electricity needed to run the timer
- Pump runs continuously - Pumps that run continuously suffer less wear and tear. This may result in a longer pump life.
- More aeration - If you are diverting part of your water stream back into your fish tank for aeration, using a siphon to drain your beds will increase the aeration you deliver to your fish tank (since aeration based on diverting a portion of the water stream only works while your pump is running).
- Educational opportunity – A bell siphon is loaded with basic physics and with our window at the top of the Bell, you can see the physics in action. This creates a great opportunity to teach students about partial vacuums, low pressure, pressure equalization, the impact of flow rates on siphon preformance, and the force behind it all – gravity.