AquaBundance SpaceSaver Aquaponics Grow Bed with Flood and Drain Fittings
A compact, attractive aquaponics grow bed designed with the aquaponic gardener in mind! Comes ready to go out of the box - pre-drilled, with media guard and fittings for a timer-based, flood and drain set-up.
- Extra thick 1/4" food safe, UV protected PE plastic designed to never bow under the heat and weight of outdoor aquaponic gardening
- 12" deep, 28" wide and 44" long, giving approximately 8 sq ft of growing space
- 1 AquaBundance SpaceSaver Aquaponics Grow Bed for every 60 - 120 gallons of fish tank
- Includes Media Guard
- Includes Flood and Drain plumbing fittings
- Features grip handles at either end large enough to fit two adult hands
- Lip at 1.5" below the top rim to indicate the "dry zone"
- Comes in 4 colors - Light Grey, Terracotta, Charcoal Granite and Stone Granite
Find out about our complete AquaBundance SpaceSaver Aquaponics System
Ships for a flat fee of only $45!
(48 contiguous U.S. states only, call for a quote if outside that area)
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does your grow bed cost what it costs?
We realize that this is an investment for our customers so we want you to feel comfortable with the money you are spending
· No skimping on quality – One of our primary design considerations was that the components of the AquaBundance SpaceSaver system would last in any weather conditions for a minimum of 10 years. The grow beds must hold about 12” of gravel and water flowing in and out every hour of every day with the sides never bowing out, cracking, or decomposing. The material must weather the intense dry sun at a mile above sea level here in Boulder, Colorado, as well as the freezing temperatures of Anchorage, Alaska. Yet it also needs to be 100% food safe so your fish, your plants, and you, are never exposed to toxic elements.
· Design Details – There are also several other details that set our grow bed apart. We have included a matching Media Guard to keep media out of your plumbing and create hassle free access to your fittings for maintenance. It comes with wide hand grips on either end. We offer the AquaBundance SpaceSaver Grow Bed in 4 colors. We agonized over every detail of the design from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint. Unfortunately each of little details has a cost.
· U.S. manufacturing – Another goal we set was to work with U.S. manufacturers. We met that goal by partnering with a wonderful rotational molding company in Middletown, OH that is run by a father and son team. Would it have been cheaper to go to China? Sure. But you can feel good about supporting a family owned factory and American jobs.
· Hand built – This is not a mass manufactured product. We make these one at a time. We will never be in Home Depot or Walmart; this just isn’t that kind of product. We are committed to personal attention and community. Our ultimate goal is to promote aquaponic gardening in the U.S. and we plan to work with retail partners who will help us do just that.
Why is your system made of plastic instead of wood?
One word – durability. Wood simply will not hold up over time as well as UV protected plastic. Water, sun and termites will break it down. It would have been much easier for us to make a grow bed of wood rather than paying for expensive molds, but we didn’t want to cut corners and compromise in quality and longevity in exchange for lower manufacturing costs
Do you use recycled plastic?
No, because we couldn’t be assured that recycled plastic was food-safe. That said, the polyethylene (PE) plastic in this system is entirely recyclable and any scrap from creating our systems is being recycled for other products.
How will my grow bed arrive?
Your grow bed will arrive in a box from Federal Express. We designed the grow bed so that it fits just barely inside the maximum box sizes for Federal Express so that you wouldn’t have to deal with the hassle of having trucks unloading pallets onto your driveway!
How much can I grow?
Because such a perfect environment is created for the plants in their root zone you can actually plant about twice as densely in aquaponics as you can in soil. In the AquaBundance SpaceSaver Grow Bed this means you can grow 7 full size indeterminate tomato plants or about 25 basil plants.
Can’t I just make my own grow bed?
Sure you can! And we support that DIY spirit through our Aquaponic Gardening book, community site and Information Resources page. But building aquaponic systems isn’t for everyone. The end result, while functional, is often (how can I say this diplomatically?) not very attractive. There is much research and experimentation required, which takes a tremendous amount of time. Plus, aquaponics is a very new way of growing and the components for building your own are often kludges or non-existent. That’s where we come in! We’ve been doing this for a long time. We will supply you with an attractive grow bed that works from the moment it comes out of the box, and will provide you with excellent manuals and training materials online to make sure that you have a successful experience.
Are the parts made in the US?
YES! The major components are all constructed in Middletown, Ohio by a factory run by a very American father and son team (the father even drives a Harley). Could we have saved money by going to China? You bet. But then we couldn’t have guaranteed the pureness of the materials to insure the safest possible environment for both your fish, and your food. Plus we couldn’t oversee the operation to insure the same quality as we can with a US located company.